Designed to inspire and unite Columbus-area Jewish teens to engage in service learning, The Wexner Foundation invites students currently in 10th and 11th grade (those going into 11th and 12th grades in the 2015-2016 academic year) to apply for participation in the Wexner Service Corps (WSC), beginning with a trip to Detroit (June 7-12, 2015), followed by year-round service in Columbus.
This year the WSC will visit Detroit from June 7-12, 2015 in partnership with Repair the World. Post-industrialization in Detroit has led to both an unprecedented concentration of poverty and the opportunity to overcome a history of segregation and disinvestment to create safe, sustainable communities that can build on Detroit’s remarkable legacy of entrepreneurship and innovation. Repair Communities volunteers in Detroit provide critical support and services to nonprofits and other organizations already doing excellent work on a wide variety of local and community causes. The group will be guided through a sophisticated and intensive curriculum relating their work to Jewish thought and texts. Through the generosity of Leslie and Abigail Wexner and The Wexner Foundation, all expenses will be paid.
Eligibility Requirements for New Applicants
To apply for the Wexner Service Corps applicants must be:
- Columbus area Jewish high schoolers
- In 11th or 12th Grades in the 2015-2016 Academic Year and have not participated in the Corps before (current Corps members should scroll down for information about the Senior Leadership Corps)
- Available for the entirety of the service trip (June 7-12, 2015)
- Able to commit to participate in the Wexner Service Corps year-round program, which includes monthly service and learning for approximately 3-5 hours per session on Sundays and occasional weekday evenings in the Columbus are. See below for draft calendar of events.
The Wexner Service Corps is competitive and selective. We encourage applicants to give appropriate thought and effort to their applications. All completed applications received prior to our deadline,
February 9 at 9 am, will be carefully reviewed.
Applications are now closed.
Selection criteria includes:
- Quality of application
- Geographic and community diversity
- Eagerness to engage in Jewish learning and exploration
- Articulated interest in service
- Input from recommendation form
The link to the application can be found below. Please read this section before continuing on to the application.
On page two of the application, you will find the following video question and three essay questions. Please answer all four. We suggest preparing the video in advance and writing the short essays outside of the application and pasting them in when you are ready to complete your application. Each essay question should be 250-500 words.
Please create a one-minute (maximum) video of yourself that responds to the following question:
Tell us a little bit about yourself. What unique qualities, talents, skills or personality traits would you bring to a group experience?
This video need not be professionally produced or edited — really we’re asking for a 1-minute selfie made from your phone. If for some reason you are absolutely unable to make a video, please write your answer in the field provided. For uploading instructions see the question inside the application.
Short Essay Questions:
1. Please share with us a moment when you were proud of, grateful for, or challenged by being Jewish.
2. Please share a past service experience. Was it meaningful? Why or why not?
3. Please describe why you are interested in joining the Wexner Service Corps. Please consider both the Detroit service trip and the year-round service commitment in your response.
Applicants must receive one recommendation from a rabbi, teacher, advisor, school counselor or employer who can speak to the applicant’s appropriateness for this cohort. On the final page, you will be asked to provide contact information for a reference.
Click here to Apply now!
Senior Leaders Corps for Current Corps Members
Current members of the Wexner Service Corps may apply for the Senior Leaders Cohort (SLC). Following the selection of new Corps members, we will select a small number of SLC members. SLC will have a separate curriculum and unique responsibilities during their additional year of participation in WSC. All completed applications received prior to our deadline, February 9 at 9 am, will be carefully reviewed.
- Current Member of WSC
- Will be in 11th or 12th grade in 2015-16 school year (current seniors are ineligible)
- Has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to service, leadership and passion over the past year of service
- Has completed an SLC application
Please follow the link below to apply. On page two you will find the following essay questions. Please answer both. We suggest writing them outside of the application and pasting them in when you are ready to complete your application.
1. How have you been affected by your experience in the Wexner Service Corps?
2. What is a Jewish value or text that explains your commitment to service?
Click here to apply now for the SLC!
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Rabbi Michael Emerson
Sample Year-Round Program
September – Charity Newsies
October – St. Stephen’s Community House
November – Huckleberry House
December – Habitat for Humanity
January – School Painting
February – Community Shelter Board
March – LifeCare Alliance
April – Harmony Project: One Week, One Neighborhood
May – Shalom House